The highly anticipated Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is set to debut at Disney World in early 2014. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a family coaster that will take guests on a journey through the mine where the Seven Dwarfs spend their days digging for gems. Located at the new Fantasyland area of the Magic Kingdom, this new ride will fit in seamlessly with the other classic fairy tale attractions.
1) Swinging Coaster: You read that right. Instead of having fixed cars, the coaster train will have cars in cradle-like pivots that will give them the ability to swing side to side during the ride. Perhaps they’ll swing in unison to the ride’s musical score? We’ll have to wait and find out.
2) It’s Really Two Rides in One: The themed design of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train combines coaster thrills with the story-telling element of a dark ride. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will be featured during the ride, especially during the immersive ‘dark ride’ segment. Animatronic characters, show scenes, props, music from the film will let riders feel a part of the dwarfs’ mythical workplace. Geared towards families, the thrills may be mild but the adventure is sure to entertain.
3) Speed Settings: Due to the ride being both a coaster and a dark ride, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will have variable speed vehicles that will allow them to slow down and rev up to accommodate both the show scenes and coaster elements.
4) New Animatronic Technology: Dopey, Bashful, Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Sneezy and Snow White are all included as part of the animated characters. Animatronic woodland creatures will be joining them. We’ve been told a new technology will add a wow factor to these characters.
5) Family-Friendly Yet Entertaining: Disney walks the fine line between creating thrilling rides and accessible rides for families. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train balances that fine line with a mix of mild thrills, special effects and an engaging story. It will be a family coaster young and old alike can enjoy together.
6) Interactive Queue: Lines are part of a the Disney World theme park experience – it simply can’t be helped. Thankfully, interactive queues add entertaining diversions to make the wait more bearable. The interactive queue at the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train should be on the level of engagements seen at queues at the Haunted Mansion and Dumbo rides.
7) The Element of Surprise: Many details have yet to be released about the new Fantasyland attraction. One rumor is water might be involved which seems possible due to the trestle bridge and waterfall elements planned for the dark portion of the ride. We’ll have to wait until the ride debuts in 2014 to see what the ride entails.