SeaWorld has just opened TurtleTrek, a 3D 360 experience, and now more details have been released on their next project – Antarctica – Empire of the Penguin.
Antarctica is SeaWorld Orlando’s largest ever expansion. Schedule to open in 2013, the attraction will surround guests with the sights and sounds found in Antarctica and take them on a one-of-a-kind ride. The perspective will be through the eyes of a penguin and be highlighted by state-of-the-art technologies for adventures that are different every time.
Details revealed include:
• A first-of-its-kind family adventure ride that utilizes new technology for an experience that can change from visit to visit. Designers also revealed that guests will be able to choose the level of thrill they experience on the ride. Each car seats eight guests.
• Guests will be introduced to a new SeaWorld star – a young gentoo penguin. The young gentoo becomes the ride’s guide and leads guests on an exciting journey through the dangers and beauty of the Antarctic.
• Antarctica guests will get closer than ever – and out among – its colony of penguins including gentoos, rockhoppers, adelies and kings. How close has yet to be detailed, but designers consider the guests’ encounters with the penguins to be the first of their kind in any theme park or zoo in the world.
• Immersing guests in a colony of penguins means this will be the coldest theme park attraction in the world. Designers have declined comment on the engineering it will take to place SeaWorld guests among a colony of penguins whose habitat must stay in the low 30 degrees for comfort.
• The footprint for the new themed land is the biggest of any expansion at a SeaWorld or Busch Gardens park. Antarctica’s scope will include the ride, penguin habitat, gift shop and restaurant.